Gao Receives 2016 Dyer Excellence in Teaching Award
EKU's School of Business is pleased to announce the recipient of the Twelfth Annual Jack L. Dyer Excellence in Teaching Award. The recipient for 2015-16 is Dr. Siwei Gao, Assistant Professor of Risk Management and Insurance.
Nominations for the award were made by the Department Chairs for AFIS and MMIB. Nominees were reviewed by a three-member Selection Committee based on evidence of excellent classroom instruction. They also considered factors such as peer review of instruction, student evaluations of teaching performance, curriculum development, teaching load, and innovative teaching methods.
The selection committee noted that Dr. Gao’s teaching evaluations and peer reviews have been excellent. Furthermore, students noted that Dr. Gao’s classes included real world examples, current events, and business trends, which fostered engagement and enhancing learning. Dr. Gao's teaching style facilitates critical thinking in her classes.
Comments from her students were overwhelmingly positive:
- Great teacher! Really helped teach the information in ways that we could better understand it.
- She is a very good instructor and has great passion in the subject matter.
- Great teacher, one of the best at EKU.
- Great professor, I enjoyed this course.
- She's an amazing professor. She actually cares about you as a person, not just a student in her class.
- Dr. GAO is by far one of the department's best. I highly recommended her class to anyone.
- Dr. Gao was a very good professor!! Although [I] was not really interested in Insurance, Dr. Gao made the subject relatable to my job.
- Very friendly and willing to help.
- I give this teacher a 5 out 5. She is the best teacher I have had at EKU. I took her RMI 370. So I made sure I got her for 380. She is one of the few teachers who gets it and understands students.
Dr. Gao was excited to be honored by her peers and commented that she is "one step closer to my mum [who] teaches electronic engineering in university and has been awarded several times as 'my favorite teacher of the year'."
Gao joined the EKU Risk Management and Insurance faculty in 2012 after teaching one year at Temple University and is an internationally recognized scholar. Gao earned her bachelor's degree in economics from the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics and a doctoral degree in business administration from Temple University's Fox School of Business. Her international accomplishments include: Discussant at the World Risk and Insurance Economics Congress, Referee for Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, and, notably, appointment to the Board of Governors of the Asia-Pacific Risk and Insurance Association. And she has presented at the World Risk and Insurance Economics Congress (WRIEC) in Munich, Germany.
She was appointed to the Thomas and Rebecca Coffey Endowed Professorship in Insurance Studies at EKU - the University's first endowed professorship when it was established in 2004 - a three-year, renewable appointment.
We are proud to have quality professors such as Dr. Gao and are pleased to recognize her for her efforts. The School of Business will formally recognize Dr. Gao during the annual Jack L. Dyer Excellence in Teaching Award Luncheon in August.
Congratulations to Dr. Siwei Gao for being selected as the recipient of the Jack L. Dyer Excellence in Teaching Award for 2015-16!
Published on April 27, 2016